Re: Safe free of IDNA memory

From: Simon Josefsson <jas_at_extundo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 19:45:40 +0200

Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> writes:

> Do you have any info or plans on when in time we might see this new version?

FYI, I just released 0.4.5 with a 'idn_free' function, prototyped in
the header file idn-free.h. It is intentionally not documented yet,
pending more feedback. I have added a comment to the header file (see
below). If you have more information or any references, I'd be happy
to add them.

Regards,
Simon

/* I don't recommend using this interface in general. Use `free'.
 *
 * I'm told Microsoft Windows may use one set of `malloc' and `free'
 * in a library, and another incompatible set in a statically compiled
 * application that link to the library, thus creating problems if the
 * application would invoke `free' on a pointer pointing to memory
 * allocated by the library. This motivated adding this function.
 *
 * The theory of isolating all memory allocations and de-allocations
 * within a code package (library) sounds good, to simplify hunting
 * down memory allocation related problems, but I'm not sure if it is
 * worth enough to motivate recommending this interface over calling
 * `free' directly, though.
 *
 * If you have any thoughts or comments on this, please let me know.
 */