RE: FTP third party transfer (proxy) support.

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 15:52:29 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Alexander Krasnostavsky wrote:

I've applied your patch locally and I'm working on it, commit is pending. My
comments on it:

The latest patch lacked required changes to include/curl/curl.h and it has no
documentation included for the new options (easily added of course). Also,
where did that example code that uses 3rd party transfers go?

Your code caused multiple compiler warnings. They were easily fixed.

Your changes caused the test suite to fail on the very first test (actually
even before the test started, when curl is used to check if there's a server
running already)! That too was easily fixed.

Your changes to Curl_debug() were not to my satisfaction. I'll edit it to suit
me (please check it out and let me know if you have other ideas on how to
change this to meat our combined desires), but these are the reasons:

 o You assume the data passed to the function is zero-terminated at all times,
   which it isn't.

 o You make it impossible for a callback to determine what data that is info
   and what is protocol stuff when you prepend all data-types with additional
   info (that is info and not protocol nor data). I admit that with my
   approach it does on the other hand not know to/from which the data is going
   (since that info is only provided using the frer form info type).

   Perhaps this is reason enough to provide another argument to the callback?

 o I would like to avoid doing unconditional memory allocations in this
   function. It could get big data chunks passed in, which would require this
   to malloc even bigger chunks...