Re: libcurl.so.[X]

From: Domenico Andreoli <cavok_at_libero.it>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 13:48:57 +0200

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 01:20:31PM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> Hey

ciao Daniel,

> I've noticed the debian bug tracker get flooded since the latest libcurl
> version has a bumped SO number, I thought I'd point this out clearly to you
> all here who might not have noticed yet.

really? :))

> I bumped the library version for 7.12 due to the removal of curl_formparse()
> from the library. I believe this is considered the kosher thing to do in these
> cases.

yes, i think this was the right thing to do. i even noticed the removal
of curl_formparse() but i unfortunately didn't figure it was going to
change the soname.

> On Linux, this means that the shared library will be named libcurl.so.3 when
> installed. Other operating systems will have similar bumps in the numbering,
> moving from 2 to 3.
>
> This should allow older programs to remain using the 2 (since they
> theoretically might use the function we've removed) until they are rebuilt to
> use the 3 one.

i'm sorry to have not been careful enough to prevent the mess :(

cheers
domenico

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://people.debian.org/~cavok/gpgkey.asc
   ---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936 4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50