Re: libcurl.so.[X]

From: Domenico Andreoli <cavok_at_libero.it>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:45:32 +0200

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 02:17:33PM +0200, Tor Arntsen wrote:
> On Jun 4, 13:02, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> >
> >it would not be such a big problem if i could upload package libcurl3
> >but given the release timetable it might not be feasible right now.
> >
> >libcurl2 is built from curl source package, if the latter starts to
> >build libcurl3 libcurl2 ends without its source package and gets removed
> >from the unstable archive. this leads to not few application depending
> >on a missing package and requiring the rebuild. it is this rebuild to
> >not be compatible with the release, probably.
> >
> >libcurl3 would be a new package and subject to the approvation of
> >ftpmasters, a long thing in the latest months. so a little coordination
> >is required here. i sent a mail to discuss the best solution [0].
>
> I read that small thread.. I can see the problem. If you just
> change libcurl2 to contain the 7.11 version the lower version number
> will prevent debian sid users to get it (because it's not an 'upgrade').
>
> What I was wondering was if it would be possible to create a
> libcurl2_7.12.0-2 deb. which contains both libcurl.so.2 and libcurl.so.3,
> with the former being from 7.11 and the latter the actual 7.12?
> I'm not too up-to-date with how this is done or if it is possible,
> so please bear with me..

it's not a problem for me to make this happen, it is only a matter of
building libcurl2 out of curl 7.12.0 sources.

i surely won't mess with curl internals but Daniel could be interested
in this, since it is also the only way to push 7.12.0 down towards the
next debian release. i don't really know how much this is feasible,
even if the api change doesn't look too radical.

i would provide also libcurl3-dev in order to let other packages
choose to use libcurl3. i would open wishlists to push the choice on
libcurl3-dev. maybe this could lead to a complete transition before
sarge release, a thing that few really are able to foresee.

again, how fast libcurl3 and libcurl3-dev packages enter unstable would
depend on debian ftpmasters.

cheers
domenico

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://people.debian.org/~cavok/gpgkey.asc
   ---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936 4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50