Re: libcurl.so.[X]

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 15:12:29 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Domenico Andreoli wrote:

> i surely won't mess with curl internals but Daniel could be interested in
> this, since it is also the only way to push 7.12.0 down towards the next
> debian release. i don't really know how much this is feasible, even if the
> api change doesn't look too radical.

While I am interested in the development of this (I'm even a Debian user), I
don't see what more I can do to help sorting this out.

In my view, a libcurl3 package sounds like the most sensible approach and then
have all the packages dependent on libcurl2 move over to libcurl3 as soon as
they've proved working with it. And when libcurl2 one day in the future has no
further apps depending on it, it can be removed. There must exist plenty other
packages that have went down exactly this road before.

I'm not familiar with Debian rules and politics in this area, and I prefer to
produce and release curl and libcurl without bothering about specific vendors'
habits.

I think you're doing a great job with the curl packages, Domenico.