Re: ftp bin-mode in url

From: Gisle Vanem <gvanem_at_broadpark.no>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:15:39 +0200

"Daniel Stenberg" <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se> said:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Gisle Vanem wrote:
>
> > This CWD to the correct dir, does a LIST, but uses TYPE A
> > curl ftp://host/dir/;type=I
>
> Yes, because libcurl always uses TYPE A when listing a directory. What is the
> difference supposed to be in your case? I admit I don't remember what the RFC
> says about this issue.

RFC-959 says "The data transfer is over the data connection in type ASCII
or type EBCDIC". It doesn't have a MUST for this AFAICS.

ProFTPD etc. ignores current TYPE and always sends in ASCII or whatever
/bin/ls produces (which mostly isn't nvt-ascii). Others are not so strict and
honours the TYPE command.

My point is just that it could be easier to parse a dir listing when transfer
type is given explicitly. If the ftp-server ignores it, that's just too bad...

--gv