Re: SSL RAND entropy init takes 30-60 depending on implementation

From: Gisle Vanem <gvanem_at_broadpark.no>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 14:04:47 +0200

"Daniel Stenberg" <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se> said:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, listman wrote:
>
> > I would recommend replacing the RAND_screen call with a call to
> > RAND_bytes( &c, 1 );
>
> I checked the man pages. RAND_bytes() only works with an already seeded PRNG.
> I fail to see how it can be used to seed it then!

The docs should maybe state the importance of a rand-file. On Windows
with a proper $HOME/.rand file, there's no reason to call RAND_screen()
(as random_the_seed seems to figure out by itself). With this, I have never
seen such slowdown as the OP states.

A rand-file can be generated by the OpenSSL WinRand program or
openssl -rand -out %HOME%\.rand... or make one pointed to by
%RANDFILE%.

--gv