Re: PATCH: A fix to allow OpenVMS to (HTTP) POST data largerthan64K...

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:08:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Guenter Knauf wrote:

> http://www.gknw.com/test/curl/
>
> I've named it testcurl2.pl so that it can co-exist with the original one;
> simply put testcurl2.pl into ./curl/tests/ and call testcurl2.pl instead;

Seems reasonable.

> I call it from a shell script which initially sets some environment vars,
> most important is CURL_TARGET; if you set this to vms and add some lines to
> testcurl2.pl you should be able to run at least the autobuild without
> tests...;

As I said before, I prefer having command line options and not environment
variables to control the behavior of a script like this.

> Daniel, what about rewriting testcurl.pl a bit? The more platforms we need
> to support, the more problems we will get and more ugly hacks are needed...;
> so perhaps it's time now to make some decisions:

> - should we require CURL_TARGET be set for any target that is not build with
> autoconf and friends?

I think we can require a command line option to identify what platform it is,
if the unix-style configure approach isn't used yes.

> - should we introduce a block at the beginning which does correctly setup
> the internal vars depending on CURL_TARGET?

Probably. The script should be written in a way that makes it as easy as
possible to extend it to build curl on many platforms. I don't have any
specific ideas on how to accomplish that.

I personally don't build curl on any platforms that don't grok configure!

> - and a proposal: should we start with such a rewrite with a testcurl2.pl in
> CVS, and develop on it, so everybody can test, but we dont break existing
> autobuilds...?

I think that is a good idea.