Re: [PROPOSAL] simplify gnu makefiles

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 14:50:14 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Guenter Knauf wrote:

> we spoke already about the nasty job to maintain all the makefiles...

> I've played a bit with make, and perhaps something like the rule below could
> save us some time, at least with all builds which use gnu make:

For most platforms and builds we can't tell which builds that use GNU make,
thus we must avoid all GNU extensions except for the rare case wheres we know
GNU make is used (and I can't name even name one such right now).

> OBJS := $(patsubst %.c,%.o,$(wildcard *.c))

I'm a bit old school on this. I don't consider this suggestion much of an
improvement. Instead of explicitly mention all the source files, this hides
what files that are used and makes it impossible to add local test files with
.c extensions (without having them built and included in libcurl).

The current maintaining "problem" is not solved by this line anyway, since
most of the "hard-coded" makefiles aren't used by systems with GNU make.

> BTW: I'm just on changing the NetWare makefiles so that now a config.h is
> created at compilation time by the makefile, and would like to remove the
> config-netware.h then when finished... are you fine with this?

That's perfectly fine with me!