cURL sometimes crashes under MS Windows after DNS problems

From: Andreas Rieke <andreas.rieke_at_isl.de>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:44:43 +0200

Good morning,

I have experienced some strange crashes which happen inside
curl_easy_perform on a Microsoft Windows XP and 2000 machine running my
C++ application compiled with Visual Studio .NET 2003 with libcurl in
version 7.12.0.

First of all, my application usually works fine with cURL. However, due
to some network problems, name resolution does not always work, and
thus, curl_easy_perform sometimes (quite seldom, maybe once a day when
using it each 5 minutes) returns an error "Couldn't resolve host
'test.arp-guard.com'". When this happens, cURL does not call it's write
function, but this is certainly ok. So far, so good.
Each time after this happens, cURL crashes within the next call to
curl_easy_perform. I can see that the write function is called once,
thus the DNS problems seems to be finished. I receive an error message
that the process had tried to read some data where it is not allowed to
read.

Did anyone see similar problems? Any ideas how to debug this issue?
I have just seen that 7.12.1 is available since yesterday, does it make
sense to try that one?

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

P.S.: I use cURL on linux and windows operating systems, but I have not
yet seen this problem under linux. However, our linux machines have
configured at least two nameservers, whereas the MS systems usually have
only one nameserver configured.