Re: cURL sometimes crashes under MS Windows after DNS problems

From: Gisle Vanem <giva_at_bgnett.no>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:05:53 +0200

"Andreas Rieke" <andreas.rieke_at_isl.de> said:

> Hi, thanks for your detailled answer. First of all, yes, the crash
> happens ALWAYS after the previous call ended with a name resolution
> error. My first step will be to try out cURL 7.12.1 to see if that one
> has the same problem. If so, I can either change to the unthreaded
> gethostbyname (BTW: How can I do so?)

Disable "#define USE_THREADING_GETHOSTBYNAME" in lib/setup.h

> or I can try to compile a DEBUG version hoping that the debugger
> tells me where it crashes.

A debugger can tell you that regardless of debug/release version.
But you should not strip away the debug-symbols in the DLL/EXE.

Don't confuse a debug-version (/MDd and _DEBUG defined) with
debug-symbols. A release version can have debug-symbols too.
It's just that MSVC's _DEBUG adds some extra heap checking and
asserts.

--gv