Re: AIX multithreaded issue - CURLE_COULDNT_CONNECT

From: Holger Rauch <holger.rauch_at_heitec.de>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:17:05 +0200

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Alexander Krasnostavsky wrote:
> [...]
> >I assume that -qthreaded also defined.
>
> I don't follow you. Is this a compiler options we should use on AIX? (What
> does it do?) And then it would be only for a specific compiler, right? If
> so, which?

Looks to me like it is the AIX C compiler from IBM. I remember they had some
"-q" flags when I did my internship at IBM. It probably #defines some
thread-safe prototypes of functions that wouldn't otherwise be thread safe
(I'm thinking of the _r functions, for example). Maybe specifying
"-qthreaded" also #defines _THREAD_SAFE or _REENTRANT behind the scenes.
Might be a good idea to specify "-qthreaded" when using the AIX C compiler
(instead of just #defining _THREAD_SAFE), and specify either _THREAD_SAFE or
_REENTRANT (or both, just to be sure) when using gcc on AIX.

What do other list members that are familiar with AIX think about this?

Kind regards,

        Holger