Curl hangs if protocol does not match port

From: Andrei Tarassov <andrei.tarassov_at_altiris.ee>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:41:50 +0300

Hi!

I have encountered a very strange problem with curl_easy_perform()
hanging when you specify an incorrect protocol in an URL.
I took https.c from curl documentation and simply changed URLs.

I noticed that the following URLs would hang:
https://www.hotmail.com:80/
https://www.altiris.com:80/

I thought that the problem occurred only with IIS/5.0 servers, but for
example, https://www.athens2004.com:80 returns an error immediately.

What makes the problem even more strange is that it seems not to be
curl-specific. For example, my Mozilla Firefox and IE were also hanging
on the addresses above, while returning an error on other URLs.

Has anyone encountered the same problem, knows the reason of it and how
it could be worked around?

Thanks,

--
	Andrei Tarassov