Re: 7.12.1 Solaris build problem with getdate.y

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:21:42 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Dan Fandrich wrote:

> You're forgetting a third option: rewrite getdate to simplify it and/or
> remove the dependency on yacc/bison altogether. getdate as it stands is
> overkill for libcurl's needs; in fact, about 10% of the size of an http-only
> libcurl is in getdate. HTTP only allows three date formats which can be
> parsed fairly easily without yacc. getdate appears to be used in ftp as
> well, but I don't know exactly how; that would need to be checked before
> changing it.

I agree that this would be a very good idea.

Can you dig up and show us examples of these three date formats? Based on that
we could produce a set of date strings we can use to verify our rewrite.

The only downside with doing this is that curl_getdate() will become a less
powerful function, but I don't consider that an important drawback.

Let's do this.