Re: Tests 503/504 failing

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:46:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Dan Fandrich wrote:

> Timing out while resolving "localhost"??? Looks like a uClibc problem of
> some sort and, indeed, it seems to open /etc/hosts but not read from it. I
> just confirmed that with a "curl http://localhost", which sometimes returned
> a "Couldn't resolve host" message and sometimes hung.

That certainly seems like a uClibc problem to me too.

> On the hunch that this was the same cause of the problems with test 503, I
> edited the test script to set the proxy address to 127.0.0.1:8990 and sure
> enough, the test now passes. It looks like tests 503, 504 and 509 are the
> only ones that need to resolve "localhost". I suppose I should either fix my
> uClibc setup or submit a patch to these tests ;-)

I'd say that having localhost not resolve to 127.0.0.1 is strange indeed, but
I've seen others with such problems (once upon the time our configure script
involved one such resolve which did cause problems every now and then).

I think making the test use 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost is basicly a good
thing.