Re: problem with FTP size command when doing FTP get

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 20:23:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Nelson Epifanio wrote:

>> SIZE 'SERNEE.MD5SIG.DELTA9(SIGFILE)'
> < 501 command aborted -- FTP server not configured for SIZE
>
>> RETR 'SERNEE.MD5SIG.DELTA9(SIGFILE)'
> < 125 Sending data set SERNEE.MD5SIG.DELTA9(SIGFILE)
>
> * Getting file with size: -1
>
> It seems to me that SIZE command is not supported by the host.

It seems so, yes

> How do I get around this?

Uh?

1. Get around what? The lack of SIZE is a limit in the server, there's nothing
    anyone but the server admin can do about it. SIZE is not a command in the
    original RFC959 spec.

2. libcurl transfers files just fine even if SIZE doesn't work. It just won't
    know the size before the transfer starts.