Re: FTP_IGNORE_PASSIV_IP

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 15:27:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 ED_Hingsbergen_at_cisgi.com wrote:

> The servers I've encountered have all been part of the Sterling Commerce
> CONNECT product. Sterling's software is very popular for electronic
> commerce/EDI systems. Such commercial software products often carry a legacy
> with it, and are not particularly up-to-date. The fact that it has the 227
> PASV/NAT firewall clash is likely viewed by Sterling as an asset, since they
> sell an FTPS client that handles the problem. By adding
> FTP_IGNORE_PASSIVE_IP, curl can be used instead of having to purchase a
> commercial client that has none of the programmability of curl.

I understand all this.

There's just this very annoying nudging feeling in the back of my head, that
this option would be used only against these "Sterling" products because they
are inferior and want their customers to use their own clients.

I don't think it is curl's job to work around artificial limits introduced by
silly companies.

curl speaks FTP, and by doing what they do, I would argue that they no longer
adheres to the RFC959 spec and they are therefore no longer speaking FTP by
definition. EPSV is not RFC959 either, but it is present in a public extension
document followed by a massive amount of clients and servers.

> Saying "Just make sure your server supports EPSV" clearly demonstrates a
> lack of understanding of the situation. IT'S NOT MY SERVER!!!!!

Saying this problem is solved in the rest of the world by the server
responding to EPSV is showing that we understand the technical reason why you
need to do your hack and what the server could do to fix their problem. We
just aren't accepting the political reasons why this isn't possible in this
case.

What if another company thinks is a good idea to send back a 237 response
instead with the ip address in reversed order? Should we then introduce
another option to work with their ways? Where does it stop?