Re: Proposed VC6 Makefiles patches 1/3 (.\Makefile)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:10:23 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Samuel Díaz García (ArcosCom) wrote:

In general I don't have many comments about these changes as I'm not using
MSVC myself. I would appreciate if some MSVC user would comment Samuel's
patches.

> +vc-clean:
> + cd lib
> + nmake -f Makefile.vc6 cfg=release distrib
> + nmake -f Makefile.vc6 cfg=release-ssl distrib
> + nmake -f Makefile.vc6 cfg=release-zlib distrib
> + nmake -f Makefile.vc6 cfg=release-ssl-zlib distrib

Why is the clean target named distrib?

Why do you need to invoke nmake a huge amount of times when the distrib action
in the makefile removes files by wildcard and thus you run the same commands
here very many times.

> +vc-all:
> + cd lib
> + nmake -f Makefile.vc6 cfg=release
> + nmake -f Makefile.vc6 cfg=release-ssl
> + nmake -f Makefile.vc6 cfg=release-zlib

Similarly here. Wouldn't it be easier and nicer if the Makefile itself has a
"all" target that builds everything, rather than invoking make a large number
of times? That is after all how Makefiles ususally are written.

A few notes on patches in general (for the future):

o Please attach them in mails rather than just pasting it, so that line
   wrapping doesn't risk ruining them.

o Please concatenate them into a single file, no need to send many mails for
   one patch.

o Please make sure they use forward (unix-style) slashes in the diff -u output
   so that I (or whoever does the job) can apply them easily using patch on
   linux/unix.