Re: invalidation timeouts for DNS-Sharing with share interface?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:22:03 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Frank Hempel wrote:

>> http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/curl_easy_setopt.html#CURLOPTDNSCACHETIMEOUT
>>
> does this settings tells the <share interface>-handle associated with our
> easy-handle we call curl_easy_setopt(CURLOPT_DNS_CACHE_TIMEOUT) on, which
> timeout to use for ALL dns-resolutions the share-handle focuses or just for
> the resolutions our easy-handle does (implicating that we can have various
> timeouts, kind of different timeouts for diferent hosts)?

The option is set for the easy handle, which is a bit odd since if you share a
DNS cache between multiple easy handles you can have different timeouts for
the different handles that share the cache...

But that is nevertheless how it works right now! ;-)

(Also, the cached entries can be kept longer than the timeout value since in
the recent libcurl the DNS entry is always kept in the cache while a
connection is still alive to the host.)