Re: Autoconf cross compile help...

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:10:40 -0800

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 08:52:43AM -0800, Dan C wrote:
> Noob with autoconf settings...
>
> We are running curl embedded and compiling our own kernel, compiler,
> glibc, file-utils, from scratch from source. The kernel is based on
> 2.4.24, but my red hat box is based on 2.4.18 ( I know - it's old, but
> have no choice there). Once we build the kernel, glibc, etc, how do I
> tell configure to ignore my native libs (2.4.18) and pick up only the
> ones we built (2.4.24). I want to eliminate any cross contamination
> in the build process. Looking for some pointers from somebody who
> has cross compiled curl for other platforms.

Your cross-development tools ought to be configured to use the appropriate
system header files already. If you look at precompiled cross-development
packages, they include files such as (these examples are from a uClibc
development package):

/usr/bin/i386-uclibc-cc
/usr/i386-linux-uclibc/include/alloca.h
/usr/i386-linux-uclibc/include/asm/ioctl.h
/usr/i386-linux-uclibc/include/bits/netdb.h
/usr/i386-linux-uclibc/include/fcntl.h
/usr/i386-linux-uclibc/include/linux/bitops.h
/usr/i386-linux-uclibc/lib/libc.so

The package includes a copy of the relevant kernel header files that match
the kernel under which the libc was compiled (*not* the kernel you'll be
running under). The compiler is hard-wired to read the system header
files first from the locations holding the foreign versions. This lets
you have two independent toolchains that won't interfere. I would expect
the cross-compiling glibc would let you do something similar.

>>> Dan