RE: Windows RPC server busy. Libcurl Multithreading issues.

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:11:09 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Jim N wrote:

> 1) The good news: I FINALLY got it to compile with c-ares in Windows. The
> biggest problem I had in doing this was that c-ares 1.2.1 downloaded at
> http://daniel.haxx.se/projects/c-ares/ did not work. I had to get it out of
> CVS to make it compile with libcurl correctly. Big sigh...

Please understand that c-ares is also a project run and maintained by spare
time volounteers. No one reported/fixed any MSVC build problems before the
1.2.1 release was made. You should be happy it worked by checking it out from
CVS.

> 3) The bad news: Even though I compiled it with c-ares, I STILL get another
> exception to come up: "Access violation reading location 0x2e77777b". It
> only comes up after running a while with multiple threads. This totally
> crashes the program. Curl is easy to use but multithreading makes it so
> hard.

Can you please write and provide us with a fully working example source code
that we can build and run to see the problem appear?

The vast majority of bug reports like this end up identifying a bug in the
app, not in libcurl.

> Here is the Stack for the Access Violation:
> libcurl.dll!addrinfo_callback(void * arg=0x02a5c3c0, int status=0, void
> * addr=0x00d26290) Line 132 + 0x3 C

Any possibility you can figure out what the problem is (I mean what it wrongly
tries to access) and what the contents of the local variables are at the time
of the crash?

> I don't mean to send out all these emails but maybe it will give someone,
> anyone an idea on compiling multithreaded curl application.

We appreciate the level of details and your patience and effort.