RE: trouble with SSL URL

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:48:24 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, David Byron wrote:

> I don't. Other than a socket staying open until I give up and kill curl,
> everything seems fine to the server.

I tried, and I can repeat this problem. I can also verify that the connection
remains ESTABLISHED when it hangs.

> The thing that makes me think it's a client side problem (maybe some
> interaction of curl with ssl, or ssl itself), is that IE and Firefox both
> work.

Yes, it certainly indicates a client-side problem.

I did get some extra info when trying your command. I used --trace-ascii to
store a trace file, and when I control-c the operation after the hang I saw:

<= Recv header, 24 bytes (0x18)
0000: Cache-control: private
<= Recv data, 16151 bytes (0x3f17)
0000: [data]

Which gives us: libcurl only does one read of body data before it stops. It
seems to get 3f17 bytes (and they are displayed in the trace file and on
stdout) and then it stops.

It would thus be interesting to single-step through libcurl to see what it
does after this read until it hangs.

I did a 'strace -p [pid]' while hanging and then I see that curl sits in its
poll-loop forever waiting for data to arrive and no data seems to appear.