Re: release time coming up!

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:49:47 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Domenico Andreoli wrote:

> i'm not convinced about the support for LDAP protocol, it looks like curl
> tries to load libldap.so with something like dlopen.

Correct.

The depenency of a devel package is mentioned in KNOWN_BUGS #1.

I'm not convinced we should keep the LDAP support in libcurl.

The reason it dlopen()s the lib is of course to avoid having to link with the
lib. It isn't really consistent with how libcurl uses other libs, but I doubt
very many people use LDAP at all so this "problem" does bother very many. In a
recent poll, 2% out of 154 voters claimed they use LDAP with curl.

Anyhow, I have no plans to change this within the near future so if no one
else does it, it'll remain like this for upcoming releases as well.