CURLE_COULDNT_CONNECT only after resolve?

From: Traian Nicolescu <traian_at_burstcopy.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:11:43 +0200

Hi. One of my users keeps getting CURLE_COULDNT_CONNECT when attempting
to connect to my application's HTTP server. I just need you to confirm
that getting CURLE_COULDNT_CONNECT means that it was able to resolve the
host name, but it was unable to establish the TCP connection to my server.

The docs say "Failed to connect() to host or proxy", which doesn't mean
a great deal to me since I don't know what connect() does.

Thanks.