Re: a curl_multi_fdset() replacement? (TODO-RELEASE #55)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 19:52:41 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> There are 4 functions to operate on an abstract fdset:
>
> fdset_init - initialise the app-private fdset data structure
> fdset_modify - register or change interest in a single fd
> fdset_wait - call select() or poll() or something_else()
> fdset_destroy - destroy the app-private fdset data structure

Now my slow and thick brain starts to figure out what you're talking about.

I think my main problem with understanding what you were saying is that I had
some problems to figure out what functions an app would call IN libcurl and
these functions that should be called BY libcurl.

I take it the 4 functions you described:

     fdset_init - initialise the app-private fdset data structure
     fdset_modify - register or change interest in a single fd
     fdset_wait - call select() or poll() or something_else()
     fdset_destroy - destroy the app-private fdset data structure

... are functions that libcurl provides an implementation for but that an
application can override?

Then we need a function that the app can call to set callbacks to its provided
versions of these.

As a next step, I'll try to write jot down some notes about all these
functions and how they should work and post them here. Then we should be able
to smoothen out details and continue forwards on this work.

Any objections?