Re: new multi interface functions, continued

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:00:35 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Justin Hammond wrote:

> Calling curl_multi_socket to check for differences on those few thousand
> connections might be a hit in performance when its only updating the status
> for a small amount of sockets, whereas, if you can trigger the callback to
> the easy interface socket code directly, then it doesn't suffer from that
> performance overhead, and you might even be able to get away without the
> need of using a hash to store the current states of the socket?

I don't follow this reasoning. When the app calls curl_multi_socket(), libcurl
will not check thousands of connections, it will only check the socket that
was passed in and the sockets that have a timer that has expired.

Or what did I miss?

We could possibly allow apps to call curl_multi_socket() with an option that
makes it check all its connections, as then we could deprecate
curl_multi_perform() completely.