Re: Always getting CURLE_COULDNT_CONNECT on Win2K

From: Adam D. Moss <adam_at_gimp.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:50:57 +0000

Kyrre Kristiansen wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, how lagre do you have the stack
> space set to? I've got a client that sends large
> amounts of data to the server in lots of POSTS. If you
> try to send enough packets, curl will eventually
> report CURL_COULDNT_CONNECT. This is on winXP, though.
> Could this be related to your problem?

CURLE_COULDNT_CONNECT can[1] arise from a particular win32 error
condition which, unfortunately, can mean one of many different
things. It can (and does) often mean 'an API call hit a limit
on address space / heap space / sockets / socket handles /
message queue space / disk(!) space', where these limits are
primarily windows version dependant but also potentially system
dependant (particularly, some of these limits are registry-
changeable) and application dependant (some of these limits can
be affected or overridden by the app or loader).

In answer to your question, my app's stack limit was set to
around 120MB (one of the third-party libraries I use had,
at the time, a very hungry worst-case stack requirement),
and is now set to 5MB. I believe that the default stack
given to an app under win32 is 1MB.

--Adam
[1] Of course, normally it'd arise from genuinely not being
able to connect, i.e. network or remote host problem.