enabling AUTH based on AUTH settings?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:21:44 +0100 (CET)

Hi

In currrent libcurl, we've always used a given user/password to signal the
enabling of HTTP authentication (both host and proxy auth).

This is badness since with both SSPI and GSS get their credentials from other
sources, which means that you need to set a "fake" user+password to enable
this, and not only set the AUTH type correctly. This is KNOWN_BUGS #10.

I want to modify libcurl to use a set auth type to indicate auth is wanted.

Can anyone see a drawback with such slightly changed behaviour?

Some apps might rely on the current way and they would then stop doing auth
with the new libcurl, but it would be very easy to fix. Also, apps adjusted to
this news will continue to work with older libcurls if they just make sure to
set the user+password like now.

This is not a very important change so I'm not in a hurry to make this happen,
but it would make the interface a little cleaner.