Re: enabling AUTH based on AUTH settings?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:34:56 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Dan Fandrich wrote:

> It sounds like you want to make this change in a non-backwards-compatible
> manner. Why not leave the current method (fake user+password) as an
> alternative so current apps don't break?

The main reason would be that for most auth methods you provide a
user+password that get used. For GSS you can provide anything and it won't
ever be used. For NTLM when SSPI-enable, you must set a blank user+password to
get it to use the user+password from the system, or you set a non-blank set to
make libcurl use that.

These special-cases are what concern me. Not a lot, but some.

> Also, this would be a great time to introduce a new set of options to set
> user and password separately (KNOWN_BUGS #7).

Very true.