Re: poll & Mac OS X 10.4

From: Jamie Lokier <jamie_at_shareable.org>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 01:35:31 +0100

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> >As far as I understand, older versions of Mac OS X (e.g. 10.3) do have
> >"bad" poll behavior, that results in HAVE_FINE_POLL undefined by
> >configure. However, under 10.4 the configure test is passed and
> >HAVE_FINE_POLL is defined.
>
> Aha. I didn't know that.
>
> There's "porting unix apps to mac os x" page (at
> http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2071.html) however, that
> still claims that
>
> poll
> This API is not supported in Mac OS X, instead, the function select is
> used.

It's not listed in the man pages either, at
    http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/

Which is surprising, as both NetBSD 2.0 and FreeBSD 5.4 both have and
document poll(2), and their select(2) man pages refer to it.

If it doesn't work, I'm surprised it's found in libc at all.

-- Jamie