Re: cURL downloading speed

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 10:33:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Gonzalo wrote:

> Have you have any ideas of how I can modify cURL speed? May I have to change
> some parameters on the OS (Windows XP)?

libcurl works quite fast internally without any significant bottlenecks
anywhere. Are you using a recent libcurl?

I assume your problem is related to something libcurl does in relation to your
operating system, and in order to track this down and improve performance, you
really need to start doing some low-level tracing first to figure out what
particular things that take all this time in the current code.

Then, when the villain is identified, we can work on a fix or work-around to
improve transfer speed.

In the past, we've identified performance problems on Windows involving at
least getsockopt() and select() (in the context where we check if an existing
connection is still alive). But both these issues were mainly noticable when
doing many transfers and in the getsockopt() you had to use many simultaneous
ones to really get hit. Both these problems are fixed/worked around in current
code.