Re: Doubt in compiling curl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 22:46:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, durgaprasad jammula wrote:

> But if i rename that temporary directory to someother name, it is saying
> can't find the file or directory in <temporary.directory>/lib. From the
> error, I understood that library path is hardcoded into executable.

On most unix systems (those with shared library support), the default build
makes 'src/curl' file a shell script that first sets up suitable environment
variables for ld.so to make it find the just built libcurl shared library and
then it invokes the _actual_ curl binary (in src/curl/.libs/curl).

When you 'make install', it installs the files properly without that shell
script magic. Or if you build configure --disable-shared the shell script
stuff is never used either.