Awaiting an Answer for Win 32 Install

From: T kyer <xdtrq_at_ananzi.co.za>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:30:21 +0200

Philippe, I agree with you. The linking errors you got are
identical to mine. As a matter of fact while you were
testing linking the static curl lib I was trying to figure
out how to kill some of these linking errors. So I
implemented -lcurl -lws2_32. About one third of the linking
errors disappeared. -lws2_32 is the static library for
wsock32. Believing I was on the right track I tried to find
a static library for the open SSL since most if not all
link errors were related to ssl or ssl encryption
algorithms. I don't know about zlib, but it may be required
also. So I proceeded to do a search to find out if any
static libraries are available for Open SSL and found this
reference:

INSTALL.W32

183 GNU C (MinGW)
184 -------------
185
186 * Compiler installation:
187
188 MinGW is available from http://www.mingw.org/. Run
the installer and
189 set the MinGW bin directory to the PATH in "System
Properties" or
190 autoexec.bat.
191
192 * Compile OpenSSL:
193
194 > ms\mingw32
195
196 This will create the library and binaries in out. In
case any problems
197 occur, try
198 > ms\mingw32 no-asm
199 instead.
200 If you want to build a FIPS-certified variant of
OpenSSL, add the argument
201 "fips"
202
203 libcrypto.a and libssl.a are the static libraries.
To use the DLLs,
204 link with libeay32.a and libssl32.a instead.
205
206 See troubleshooting if you get error messages about
functions not having
207 a number assigned.
208
209 * You can now try the tests:
210
211 > cd out
212 > ..\ms\test

Unfortunately the static libraries are unavailable as far
as I've been able to determine. To compile the static
libraries oneself is a project as it appears that for the
windows platform Perl may be required. I may have tried
such an endeavor if I knew something about Perl and had
lots of help.

Anyway as of the time of this writing it looks like
statically linking curl applications is not possible.

Since I was facing a brick wall I decided to try and link
the two ssl*.dll dynamic library files to -lcurl -lws2_32.
Now, I don't have any experience in linking dll files to my
compilation so I tried at random ( the mingw manual was not
very helpful ) -lcurl -lws2_32 -lSDL.dll -lSDL_mixer.dll.
This did not work. I guess what I'm asking is how to link
dlls to the compiler. The dll are installed in the
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and also G:\...\Dev-Cpp\lib. I am
trying at this moment to avoid building a project for this
very simple example. Any thoughts.

Also as far as I've been able to determine there is no curl
mingw version not using Open SSL. It would be nice to have
one.

Thanks for your help.

Xlor