Re: Developing for "mingw32 -mms-bitfields" - both mingw32 and MSVC binary libs fail

From: Richard Atterer <richard_at_2005.atterer.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:33:30 +0200

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 08:22:03AM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> >http://atterer.net/jigdo/curl-7.14.0-win32-ssl-devel-mingw32msbitfields-ra050711.zip
>
> So if I add a link to this on the download page, should I call this a
> MSVC style lib?

AFAIK, yes. But now I'm wondering: What's the difference to the MSVC
version of libcurl? Shouldn't it be possible to offer one version for both
MSVC and mingw+msbitfields? Does that version really have to depend on
zlibwapi.dll, or can it be made to depend on the "normal" zlib.dll?

Tor Lillqvist's GTK+ binary distribution is suitable for both MSVC and
mingw+msbitfields according to his web pages, and only needs zlib.dll.

> >To build my version, I did this:
>
> IMHO if you cross-compile, using configure to build is really handy! I
> have a little shell script that does this:

I did try the configure script, but somehow libtool did not create the DLL.
Argh - maybe I should have tried an explicit "./configure --enable-shared"?
Anyway, after some web searches I found a reference to the Makefile.m32,
which worked quite well.

> ../configure --host=i586-mingw32msvc --target=i586-mingw32msvc
> --with-random=notused --with-zlib

BTW, strictly speaking --target is only needed if you compile GCC itself;
for "normal" programs, there's only --build and --host. </picky-mode>

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  0x888354F7
  ¯ '` ¯