Re: cURL downloading speed

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 18:31:39 -0700

On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 12:40:59PM +0200, Gonzalo wrote:
> Thanks for your answer. I have downloaded curl 7.14.0 (which I see in
> the cURL page that it is the latest version), and the speed is the same.
> I have used what you told me about the VERBOSE option to see the
> commands and reduce them to the minimum, but the result is exactly the
> same: 30 Kbps using command-line FTP and 3 Kbps using cURL.
>
> I have noticed a curious thing. Instead of using the FTP server that I
> am using, I used, just for a try, to download a file from an FTP server
> of my intranet and the speed was astonishing: near 10 Mbps, but this
> server is not the one that I am interested to use.
>
> I have tried several libcurl options, but the results were exactly the same.
>
> I don't know what to do. Can anyone help me?

If the commands sent by curl and your other client are exactly the same,
then there isn't much left that could cause a difference. Perhaps there's
a traffic-shaping firewall in the way that could slow curl down. Other
perhaps there's some kind of socket option that curl uses/should use that
accounts for the difference. You might upload some comparative Ethereal
traces of the two transfers somewhere for people here to take a gander at.

>>> Dan