Re: cURL downloading speed

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:34:45 -0700

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 01:31:45PM +0200, Gonzalo wrote:
> After some debugging just the way you suggested me, I think I have found
> something that maybe can help me. I have discovered that the
> command-line FTP port uses always remote port 20 for data transmission,
> while my cURL FTP client uses remote ports in various ranges, between
> 44000 and 44120. I have read something about this some time ago that one
> of this modes is called "active FTP" and the other one "passive FTP",
> but I don't remember which one is which. I belive that the solution to
> my problem can be to conmute my cURL-based FTP client. I have used the
> options CURLOPT_FTP_USE_EPSV (zero and non-zero) and
> CURLOPT_FTP_USE_EPTR (zero and non-zero) and the result is that the
> download port is still the same. Maybe I am doing something wrong to
> configure it adequately.
>
> What do you think?

The remote port is chosen by the remove ftp server, so curl shouldn't
behave any differently from any other client in the port number is connects
to. You can try disabling passive mode altogether by setting CURLOPT_FTPPORT
and see if that makes a difference, but that opens up a whole new set of
potential problems.

>>> Dan