Re: curl_multi_fdset() replacement status?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 23:45:49 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Jari Sundell wrote:

> I'm currently using libcurl in rTorrent, which is a BitTorrent client which
> is aimed at users with (very) fast connections. I've just added support for
> epoll, but since libcurl is used I still need to use select. This means I'm
> still limited to FD_SETSIZE (though i could fix this with a hack) and get an
> unnecessary performance hit.
>
> What is the status on the curl_multi_fdset() replacement that was discussed
> on this list back in January 2005?

The work is slow, to say the least. I am the only one doing any work on this,
and I mostly have curl-stuff up to my ears anyway.

I'll let you guys in on a secret: I've applied for a donation from a Swedish
Non-profit "foundation" that hands out money every year for projects that
"improves internet". I'm not having any high hopes for that, but if it comes
through I should get a few months paid development time in which I would work
on this.

So, until I get any reports back on how that goes (they won't give me any
notice until October) I'm kind of just keeping the plans in the back of my
head pondering on designs.

The include/curl/multi.h file already contains protos for the new functions
and some explanatory comments that differ slightly from the previous drafts.
They may of course change further before they ever see the light of day.

All this said, help on this is appreciated. M;aintainance and development of
libcurl remain unpaid spare time work.