Re: versioned symbols patch

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 17:44:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Domenico Andreoli wrote:

> here is my proposed patch to allow, at configure, time the production of
> shared library with versioned symbols. i used it to build curl 7.14.1-1
> debian package now in experimental.

Thanks!

I like the general spirit, but I have a few remarks:

1 - it checks the --help output from 'ld' to decide if version-script works
     or not. Please make a runtime test instead, as all versions may not
     mention the option, or perhaps a version mentions it but doesn't work
     properly

2 - when versioned symbols are enabled, you assume you can send linker options
     to the linker with -Wl, but you didn't check if gcc (or a gcc option
     compliant compiler such as icc) is in use. AFAICS, if I have the GNU ld
     installed but use a different compiler, this might break.

3 - only symbols starting with curl_ are globally available. Curl_ and curlx_
     are not.