Re: new curl/debian thread is missing here (was: curl status update)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:54:29 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Domenico Andreoli wrote:

> if i had received a message of rejection, i'd have understand and maybe
> reposted with the right address. is the silent discard really necessary
> and/or wanted?

No, it isn't strictly necessary and it isn't really wanted either, but I'll
explain some of my reasoning for taking this route anyway:

The vast majority of all mails that reach the list from people who aren't
subscribers, are sent off or triggered by viruses or are plain spams. Hence,
the poor person who is in the From: line of the mail did not send it (since
the address was faked or found in someone else's mail or whatever). Sending a
"Sorry you were not allowed to post here" to that address only adds to the
internet spam decease.

So, silently discard do good in perhaps 90-95% of all cases and only wrong in
the cases where someone does like you: accidentally used the wrong address or
when posting without being subscribed at all.

And a subscriber who posts should get the mail sent back within a reasonable
time (say 10 minutes for the worst cases) or something is wrong and you can
take means to address the problem.

I try to stress this requirement on the mailing list pages on the curl web
site.

This requirement has been in use since July 13th 2005, on all the curl-
related mailing lists I admin:
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2005-07/0037.html