Re: Fw: 64 vs 32 bits (was Re: (no subject))

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 23:55:12 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Brian Krings wrote:

> Basically what I have here is an application that uses PAM authentication.
> The application is a 32 bit application running in compat mode.

You already lost me. "compat mode" is not something I'm familiar with or what
impact that might have on how libcurl behaves.

> So, in attempt to solve our problem on the 64bit architecture, I built a
> 64bit version of the PAM module, Problem is, the application invoking PAM is
> 32 bit, so now I couldn't even get my PAM module to load. After this, I
> elected to install 32 bit cURL on our 64 bit system and everything worked
> again. My question is, what will happen now when some 64 bit application
> needs to use the 32 bit curl.

I have no idea because I'm not sure what magic that was involved when your
32bit libcurl was built. Generally speaking, as long as you avoid the
CURLOPT_*LARGE options I would expect you to be rather safe.

> However, I did notice /usr/bin/curl is shared between both 32 and 64 bit.

That fact is not something that we in this project have decided or considered
much. That is most likely the result of someone doing the build for your
platform who took that decision.