Project hiper - High Performance libcurl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 13:18:26 +0100 (CET)

Date: November 3 2005

                    Hiper (short for High Performance)

Description

   Hiper is the name of the sub-project that intends to bring high performance
   adjustments and additions to the libcurl multi interface.

   The aim is to 1) provide a better API for _extremely_ large amounts of
   simultaneous transfers (the c10k problem) and 2) introduce HTTP pipelining
   support. By better API, we mean both better suited to deal with the amount
   of connections (i.e no artificial limits like select() imposes etc), better
   performance-wise by avoiding expensive looping over all file descriptors to
   check for actions and to allow users to pick an underlying event system of
   their own choice.

   The sub project has its own new section on the curl web site with all this
   info and more: http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/hiper/

Schedule

   Daniel intends to work more or less full-time with the Hiper project during
   December 2005. Leftovers will be done part-time in 2006 with possibly some
   further full-time periods during spring 2006.

   I'll get back with more specific (release) dates later on.

Funding

   Daniel receives funding from the Swedish foundation IIS for the purpose of
   implementing this.

Project Involvement

   The plan is to keep the process and progress as open and public as I
   possibly can, to allow anyone and everyone who feels like contributing or
   just watching to do so. This is still curl, this is still open source and I
   still value and appreciate all user feedback and comments.

Source Code Repository

   For the sake of being able to be 100% public and open, I will create a
   branch in the CVS repository so that the Hiper experiments and developments
   won't interfere with the "normal" libcurl development.

If you have comments, questions, requests, flames or praise, you know where to
reach me!