Re: configure script adds user's LDFLAGS to curl-config

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 18:19:00 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Bryan Henderson wrote:

> For starters, I would make LDFLAGS not affect curl-config --libs . I see
> LDFLAGS as a request to sidestep the normal configure intelligence and throw
> extra options onto a link command in a libcurl build. Configure shouldn't do
> anything else with it.

That would be a hard blow to many people. Very often even I set LDFLAGS and
family before configure is invoked to point out a proper path on where to find
related libs such as OpenSSL, zlib etc. Thus, these flags must also be used
when apps that build with libcurl.

> Or wait until we have an actual example of a needed extra library and make
> an option for that.

Since this isn't scratching any itch of my own and this has proved to be
working at least pretty good so far, I'll leave this to be fixed by someone
who actually suffers from this and feels strongly enough to implement
something that cures the problem.