Re: libcURL, Windows, and SSL

From: Steven Harrison <sharriso_at_nildram.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 18:19:02 +0000

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Steven Harrison wrote:
>
>> I'm using the last version that came with SSL support (7.13.1
>> according the the dll's file version)
>

> You mean the latest version precompiled for your platform that works
> for you? Yes, that might be the case. Compiling a later version
> yourself should be easy and quick enough though.

I've not attempted to roll my own libcURL as I'm not sure what to do to
get it to use SSL, even the docs are a little hard for me to understand
sometimes.

>> and I've got my application working ok, but every so often it refuses
>> to download anything from the server.
>

> What happens then in more exact terms?

I work in a help desk, and I'm sorry but I use that phrase a lot when
I've not heard or read the problem exactly, but:

In more exact terms the application I've wrote does not download
anything from the server, and reports no errors. The log file I'm using
also does not report anything (even the outputdebug string log is
showing no XML, yet cURL is returning with an "A OK" response.

>> (I downloaded the libcurl-7.15.0-win32-ssl-sspi.zip file after
>> looking though the archives of this mailing list, but that is
>> returning errors about unallocated memory).
>

> That's news to me. Anyone else seeing this problem with this package?
> I don't use them myself, I only built and provide them.

Next time I'm attemp to use those libs I'll post the exact error, or and
I'm also getting a compile error about the .dll.a file having too many
.text sections.

>> So am I stuck with using the old 7.13.1 and not having access to the
>> cookies until I've run the cleanup function, can I upgrade to 7.15.x
>> and get SSL to work (even if I have to get the openSSL libs), or is
>> there another way to access the information in 7.13.1?
>

> If you really want to extract the cookie information from libcurl,
> then upgrading seems to be the only option.

Not what I wanted to know, but I'd have to do the upgrade at some point
I suppose since some of the features in the later versions are starting
to be needed in the near future in the project I'm working on.

Well I'll hunt though the archives for information on how to compile
libcURL in MSVC 2003.net (C++) with SSL support, failing that, I'll just
add some other log commands and see if I can work out what's causing my
problems with downloads from an https server..