numerical IPv6 address compliance

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 23:25:04 +0100 (CET)

Hey

We got this anonymous bug report claiming we aren't RFC2732 compliant in
regard to IPv6 numerical addresses in URLs:

         http://curl.haxx.se/bug/view.cgi?id=1371118

The report says we don't support "zone IDs" and it claims you can use URLs
like this in Firefox:

         http://[fe80::2e0:81ff:fe28:d04c%eth2]:8080/

(Note the %eth2 thing)

I just read RFC2732 and RFC3986 without seeing "the light". The latter claims:
"This syntax does not support IPv6 scoped addressing zone identifiers".

Now, is there anyone with some facts or opinions on this matter?

Supporting '%eth2' as a literal in the URL is truly horrible, but if Firefox
does it, it might be reason enough for us to do it (% is a reserved character
in URLs and should be used as '%25').

What are we supposed to do with the '%eth2' part when we convert the string to
a binary IPv6 address?