Re: proxy probs (was Re: What You Can Do To Help!)

From: Lars Nilsson <chamaeleon_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:52:42 -0500

On 12/19/05, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Zibiao.Wei_at_atxinc.com wrote:
> > Neither do I know how to configure proxy for libcurl if this is really
> > required.
>
> CURLOPT_PROXY, at least, is required.

Technically speaking, CURLOPT_PROXY isn't really *required*, is it?
You can use the environment variables http_proxy, ftp_proxy and
all_proxy, as indicated in the documentation for CURLOPT_PROXY. Have
actually made use of them some time ago, when there was need for some
debugging for a program for which I had not added proxy support. At
the time I really appreciated this feature. :)

Having said this, if a program is supposed to support proxy handling,
it would of course make sense to build it into the program rather than
relying on external environment variables, and put the definition
somewhere program-specific (configuration files or whatever drives the
program).

Lars Nilsson