Re: Stripped keep-alive header

From: Brian Dessent <brian_at_dessent.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 02:52:02 -0800

Mark Pizzolato wrote:

> Hmmm.... This is looking familiar.... .I once saw this type of header
> replacement on an http operation. It turned out to be due to something that
> a piece of security software I had installed was trying to do to "help" me.
> I don't recall exactly which package it was since I was trying several, and
> I don't recall if I had to completely uninstall or merely disable the
> function to get it to stop "helping" me. It might have been Symantec Client
> Security, which was one that I tried, but if one product does this type of
> thing, others might as well.....

A lot of cheap firewalls do that (replace HTTP headers with X's or -'s)
because it allows them to "censor" fields like the referer without
changing the length. They are too dumb to deal with having to resize
the packet (and all the associated headaches of rewriting sequence
numbers and such) so they just replace characters. As Daniel already
said it's certainly not libcurl doing it.

Brian