Re: Gopher support

From: David Shaw <dshaw_at_jabberwocky.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 21:41:19 -0500

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 07:44:52AM +0100, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, David Shaw wrote:
>
> >I was playing around with libcurl today, and noted that the gopher
> >support doesn't actually work.
>
> Yes, "GOPHER transfers seem broken" are mentioned in the KNOWN_BUGS
> document since quite a long time back.
>
> >Are there even that many gopher servers left in the world at this point?
> >I couldn't find more than 4 or so.
>
> I don't know. It's been years since I last saw or used one. That's one of
> the main reasons why I haven't bothered with libcurl's brokeness in this
> aspect.
>
> I'd accept patches that correct this situation...

I'll admit to a certain fondness for gopher. Gopher URLs let you do
little tricks like finger (gopher://example.com:79/0theusertofinger),
or other things that involve sending strings to arbitrary ports
(that's a bad thing as well of course).

Is it a viable patch to drop gopher support? It's fixable, I'm sure,
but is it worth it?

David