Life with and without a proxy

From: Karl M <karlm30_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:13:54 -0800

Hi All...

If I use libcurl like this

  curl_global_init(CURL_GLOBAL_ALL);
  curl = curl_easy_init();
  if(curl) {
    curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_PROXYUSERPWD, ":");
    curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_PROXYAUTH, CURLAUTH_ANYSAFE);

    curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_URL, url);

    curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_HTTPPROXYTUNNEL, TRUE);
    curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_CONNECT_ONLY, TRUE);

    res = curl_easy_perform(curl);

    curl_easy_getinfo(curl, CURLINFO_SOCKET, &local);

/* transfer data */

    curl_easy_cleanup(curl);
  }

  curl_global_cleanup();

and then specify the proxy with an environment variable, I should get the
socket for the transfer after the proxy connection and authentication have
been completed.

But if I don't set any environment variables for the proxy, do I get a
direct connection to my target? Or, will I get some error condition?

Is my question clear?

I would like to dynamically control whether or not the proxy is used from
the environment variables...and get a usable socket (either direct or
proxytunneled) for my raw data transfer.

Thanks,

...Karl