Re: porting to mvs

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 08:17:37 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Mark Koehn wrote:

> I'm attempting a port of curl/libcurl to z/OS 1.7 ussing the USS subsystem.
> I was wondering if someone familiar with workings of libcurl could point me
> to the locations where they would add EBCDIC to ASCII and ASCII to EBCDIC
> translations from the network and to the network.

Sounds like a challange indeed!

> I'm expecting that sending data of the network will be in ASCII and
> translations would need to be done upon receiving info from the network and
> prior to placing data on the network.

Hm. I don't think libcurl has any "proper" single place to add such a
translation in its current design, but I would be happy to work with you to
get this working. I'm also pretty lost when it comes to EBCDIC details.

I take it we need to do the ASCII <=> EBCDIC for FTP commands/responses and
HTTP request headers? The actual data transfer body (unless FTP ascii mode)
should be binary and not subject for any such translations.

Data to the client is sent via the sendf.c:Curl_client_write() function.

When a client-side application sends things such as URL and extra headers etc
to libcurl, will those then be EBCDIC-encoded?