Re: question on curl_multi_perform

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:55:58 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, young young wrote:

> hi, I am now replacing curl easy-interface with curl multi-interface in my
> program. I firstly ran the sample program named "multi-double.c", and found
> that the code below consumes a lot of time.

> /* we start some action by calling perform right away */
> while(CURLM_CALL_MULTI_PERFORM ==
> curl_multi_perform(multi_handle, &still_running));

This is a loop so you don't have to let it loop uncontrolled unless you want
to.

> I have no idea what operation in this function is so time-consuming, even in
> the situation that only one easy-hande is added in the multi-handle. Could
> somebody help me?

You didn't tell us much details on what case you see this taking a lot of
time, but I would guess that you're suffering from one of the remaning locking
"things" in libcurl. Possibly you've built libcurl without c-ares on a
non-Windows machine have have a slow name resolve.